Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Horses, Painkiller Addiction, Recovery

Having been in recovery now for over 7 years I am still excited to hear the wins and gains from others beating addiction and alcoholism. Here is one I recently came across and found inspiring. This is a story of painkiller addiction, and how easily it can creep up on someone. I wanted to share this particular story as painkiller addiction is one of the fastest growing addictions in the world. With all the ads on TV pushing pills for this and that it is refreshing to see someone successfully step off the treadmill which the drug companies love to tell us is safe. Read the story and you can decide for yourself. Kayakotto

Horse Trainer Recovers Her Way of Life After Recovery from Painkiller Addiction

PDF E-mail

Amanda Clements spent much of her life with horses, the animals she loved and trained. But in an odd way, that love led her indirectly into her long fight with addictive painkillers.

“I injured my neck in a riding accident when I was sixteen years old,” she said. “I was okay for a while but then something triggered it twelve years ago when I was 28. I began to suffer pain all the time. My doctor prescribed Percocet and Vicodin for the pain but never explained the potential for addiction.”

Years went by as Amanda took the pills just as prescribed. “I didn’t like taking them but when I tried to get off them on my own, pains showed up all over my body. When I told my doctor about it, he bumped up my prescription to a higher dosage.”

As the dosages increased, Amanda was becoming addicted to the painkillers without ever realizing it. When her tolerance for the drug increased more, she began to go from doctor to doctor to get enough of the pills to enable her to feel normal and function in her daily life. “I even forged prescriptions to get enough of the drugs,” she explained. “No one knew I was taking so much and no one around me realized I had an addiction. And I had no concept myself of how bad it had gotten, even when I was taking more than 40 Percocets throughout the day.”

Read Entire Article...

No comments: